Top 5 moments of the trip for me (in random order):
1. When Jose Luis told Paula to close her eyes and open her mouth, and she actually did it. It ended up being a stick of gum, but it seriously could have been anything...
2. When Milton whispered to me that he would like to marry Gwen. I blogged a while ago about how your presence, even for a week, really makes an impact on the kids. Case in point.
Milton and Paula
3. Sharing a gigantic meal with various types of meat with the team then finding out that that circular meat with the weird texture that made me gag a little is in fact huevos de toro. I'll let you google that.
4. Seeing how happy the boys were when they each received a stuffed animal donated by my mother-in-law's friend, Alejandra's, children. (That was a mouthful.) Who knew 15 year old boys would like a stuffed animal so much??
Rodolfo and his new friend
5. The moment when we finally received a mini-jackhammer and no longer had to pick ax through the foot and a half of cement we needed to remove. I can still feel the relief wash over me.
And one of my favorite pictures of the week from Nueva Esperanza...
Click here to watch a slideshow of the kids and our work!
I'm hoping that after you watch this you'll be filled with an overwhelming desire to experience this yourself. Never fear! There are 3 more opportunities for you to come!
(This is coming up very, very soon but I thought I'd put it out there anyway...)
July 9-16 (Nueva Esperanza - $550 + the cost of airfare)
July 16-23 (Proniño - $650 + the cost of airfare)
September 10-17 (Nueva Esperanza - $550 + the cost of airfare)
November 5-13 (Proniño - $650 + the cost of airfare)